Heap Family

Heap Family

2.2.11

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Student Teaching

This picture would accurately describe my feelings on student teaching. No one warned me it would be THIS much WORK. The planning, oh the planning. Creating ideas out of thin air... a talent I improve on each day. Sometimes I feel like the trainer of the three ringed circus rather than a teacher. And sometimes I think it would be easier to deal with elephants, and lions rather than teenagers.

The Good:
-I love SOME of my students. I don't play "favorites". But let's be honest, there are some students that I just don't like.
-I got my first note from a student and it was so sweet. She told me that she was sorry for the way her class treated me, and that I shouldn't give up because I am going to be a great teacher :)
-We meditated today in health class and it was so relaxing, and the kids actually loved it
-Somedays I feel like I have effectively taught something
-The kids are acting less and less like savages every day



The Bad:
-Planning, planning, planning.
-90 minute class periods: OH MY GOODNESS. Painful.
-My brain is melting. I am sure of this. I say the most random things sometimes just because my brain is fully melting. The other day I mixed two words together (I don't even know what words, or what I was trying to say) But I ended up saying, "So you know about tacos?".... Come again what? Am I training them to work in the mexican restaurant business? It was funny, and I had a good laugh.

The Plain Old UGLY:
-A young man yelling the "F" word in my class. Not pleasant.
-Feeling like some days I am in the circus
-Getting students to volunteer. You would think I was asking for volunteers to get their teeth pulled.
-Getting any response out of my students somedays. Just like pulling teeth :)

Overall I am really liking student teaching. It is a great experience, and I can't wait till its OVER haha :)

2 comments:

vandi said...

yikes! Chad is going to be his student teaching in the Fall. We're not sure where we're headed yet. Reading this makes me so nervous for him. You'll have to give him some good advice and some helpful musts and mustn'ts (I know that'd not a word...haha) about student teaching. What have you learned about classroom management? I bet that's probably one of the hardest things.

Anyway,I'm sure you're doing awesome, and better than you think at times. Stay strong! : )

Jennie and Dalin Nelson said...

that sounds so stressful!! you are going to be an amazing teacher!! ya i guess you never realize how much teachers have to plan until you are put in that postion!!! how much longer? can we plaese hang out!